Saturday, April 17, 2010

Potty Training!

Update!
We have made so much progress today. Nathaniel has used to potty several times today. He usually starts a little in his underwear, but he is able to stop and we go to the potty and finish. He made it one time while keeping his underwear completely dry. The last time he started, managed to stop, and ran to the potty saying "Uh Oh."  I love progress!

I have been slowly trying to introduce Nathaniel to potty training for awhile now. Usually I feel forced because he will go through a stage of not keeping diapers on. This always ends with him being completely uninterested, and me getting frustrated and giving up. I get jealous of all the kids younger than Nathaniel that are already training. I just tell myself you can't make them potty train, and as soon as he decides to go it will be a quick process.

Well, I finally decided Nathaniel is plenty old enough to use the potty, and I am not giving up anymore. We have been trying to go on an hourly schedule with still no success. I have tried pull-ups with no success. Using real underwear seems to be the only thing that gets him to notice what is going on. After a few accidents, I started putting the diapers back on him, but I guess now he hates them. This boy will not keep a diaper or pull-up on anymore. He even managed to take his diaper off sometime during the night, and woke up with a wet bed. At this point I have no choice but to get him trained.

Well, I'm pleased to say that after a very rough morning we are actually making progress with the potty training. He started out with the wet bed. I figured it would be a waste of time to put anything on him besides real underwear, so that is what we have used all day. He knows that he is supposed to use the potty, but is still very resistant to it. He went through several pairs of underwear this morning because he would start to pee in them, then I would take him straight to the potty and try to finish. After doing this several times, he finally finished and managed to stay dry 3  hours after that. I noticed him a little wet again, and this time it was much easier to get him to finish in the potty. I never thought I would be so happy to see his pee in the potty...lol The Three Day Method is what finally started working for us. I think it is going to take a little longer than 3 days, but overall I feel really good about this method. I will update later to say how we really like this method.

No comments: