Friday, April 30, 2010

Show us Your Life- Money Saving Tips

Show us Your Life this week over at Kelly's Korner is Money Saving Tips. This is one of my favorite subjects lately. Since I am staying home with our two little ones, we are always on a budget. I have tried several different things over the years. My absolute favorite way to save money is by cloth diapering. I know it sounds crazy and old fashioned, but I really think it is one the smartest decisions I have made since having my second baby. I never have to worry about running out of diapers, and I just feel good about the money we save with each diaper change.

My husband was definitely not on board from the beginning. We needed to come up with the up front cost which was about $300 for us.  That's nothing compared to the $1500-$2000 we could have used on disposables. Add in the fact the we are helping the environment and it is a win win situation. They are also so much cuter than disposables.

So here is my system-
I mainly use prefolds and covers. Many people are scared of them. They are super easy to fold, and easily customized to fit the baby. When you are feeling lazy they can be tri-folded and laid in the cover. I started out with 24 prefolds which was just enough to do laundry every other day. Now I have about 50 prefolds and do laundry every few days. I have 4 PUL covers. They do not need to be washed with every use unless soiled. I would usually alternate 2 covers for the whole day. Now I have several wool covers. Wool is so amazing, and is considered the best diaper cover. Mine are all Woollybottoms, which my aunt makes and sells. She recycles old wool sweaters to make stylish diaper covers.We buy disposables for when we go to church, or if we have a babysitter. A small pack of them probably last a month or more.


Sorry for the bad quality phone pics :)

Here are a few cloth diaper resources that really helped me:
www.cottonbabies.com
www.greenmountaindiapers.com
http://allaboutclothdiapers.com

No comments: